The Charterhouse is custodian of a wide range of historic objects which have been acquired over the course of its 660 year history. Over the years we have amassed a rich body of historic museum, archive and library material most of which is cared for and displayed on-site.
We also work closely with other repositories including Islington Museum, London Metropolitan Archives, Museum of London, and Charterhouse School. The Charterhouse seeks to preserve its collection for the benefit of researchers and members of the public, both now and for posterity.
The long history of the site from its foundation in 1349 as a plague pit for victims of the Black Death, to a Carthusian monastery, Tudor mansion, and later a school and almshouse, is revealed in the museum. Objects are displayed within the themes most pertinent to the site including the Brothers; Schoolboys; Governors; Thomas Sutton; Nobles; Monks; and the Dead.
The collection is chiefly comprised of paintings and drawings; topographical prints; historic silver; social history items; historic furniture; and original postcards and photographs. There is also a substantial library collection comprised of The Thackeray Collection; rare books and religious books; biographies of Thomas Sutton, books and guidebooks relating to the site and Charterhouse School, and original ephemera and magazines.